The following content displays a map of the jobs location - Edinburgh
Apprentice Commis Chef - Edinburgh
What we'll give:
APPRENTICE COMMIS CHEF
SALARY: £22,759.20 per annum
LOCATION: Edinburgh International Conference Centre (EICC), The Exchange, 150 Morrison Street, Edinburgh. E3 8EE
REPORTING TO: Executive Chef
HOURS/WORKING PATTERN: 40 hours per week working 5 days out of 7, earliest start 7.00am and latest finish 10.00pm working an 8-hour shift in between.
DURATION: Minimum 12-24 months
Do you have a real passion for cooking and would love a career as a Chef? Would you like to earn whilst you learn? Well now is the time, as we have a very exciting opportunity for an Apprentice Commis Chef to join our team at the EICC, Edinburgh.
You do not need to have any experience as full training will be provided as part of the Apprenticeship. This is ideal for a school leaver or someone wanting a career change. Apprenticeships are for everyone regardless of age!
Over a 12–24-month period you will be trained to become a fully Qualified Commis Chef.
What you'll be doing:
Based in one of our busy kitchens at the Edinburgh International Conference Centre, you would learn the different sections within the kitchen, gain experience with food preparation, cooking techniques and work safely within HSE guidance.
Tasks could include, but not limited to:
- To maintain and manage the required high operational and personal standard of hygiene and presentation at all times in compliance with the Food Safety Act
- Compliance to the Health and Safety Act and COSHH regulations
- The preparation, cooking and service of food as directed by the chef in charge, whilst complying to the food safety act, portion control and presentation standards
- Ensure the correct disposal and storage of all food items as directed by the chef in charge
- Monitor and record temperatures of fridges and freezers, hot cabinets, serveries as directed by the chef in charge
- Ensure that assured safe catering principals are followed at all times encompassing legal requirements of the Food Safety Act
- To ensure that working areas are kept clean and tidy adopting a “clean as you go” policy
- To ensure that all foods served under your control are served and held at the required temperatures (probed and recorded)
- Ensure that decanting methods and fridge discipline are strictly adhered to
- Ensure accurate records are maintained as directed by the chef in charge
- Ensure that the handing over procedures and opening up /closing down procedures are complied to, with emphasis on safety and security
- Work enthusiastically as a member of our busy kitchen team
- Undertake training & development from senior chefs
- Prepare ingredients for cooking, including washing, peeling & chopping
- Maintain fridges and other food storage areas, monitoring and recording temperatures
- Cook and plate food according to agreed recipes and standards of mise en place
- Operate ovens, stoves, grills, microwaves, and fryers in a safe manner & ensuring correctness of temperatures
- Set-up and break down work station, washing and disinfecting kitchen area, tables, tools, knives, and equipment
- Full training will be provided
There is no supervision of other staff.
More about the role:
Alongside your day-to-day duties, you will complete the Professional Cookery Level 2 Modern Apprenticeship. This is a nationally recognised qualification, and the primary objective of the Commis Chef is to learn and understand how to carry out the basic functions in every section of the kitchen. You will be completing your qualification through Edinburgh College by completing on-line modules, attending college and work ‘in-unit’. You will be supported through this qualification by your Personal Development Coach who will regularly visit you at your place work. All travel expenses will be covered by your employer. You are not expected to complete any of your Apprenticeship work outside of your normal working hours and will be given set time each week to complete your work.
Who you are:
- An innovative and creative individual
- Great customer service skills
- Enthusiastic, motivational, someone who strives for excellence
- Honest, transparent and consistent
- Flexible approach with a “can do” attitude
- Communication and relationship building skills
- Good listening skills
- Passionate about food
- A strong interest to have a career in cooking
- Keen and willing to learn
- Punctual and reliable
- Able to work well with others
- Commitment to learn and to the apprenticeship
Do Not Use – does not get included in external advertising
WHO ARE COMPASS GROUP UK & IRELAND LTD?
We are the world’s largest caterer, a Company that employ more Chefs than anyone else so we know a thing or two about developing our people for real careers.
Compass Group UK and Ireland specialise in providing food, vending and related services in our clients' premises. The company operates across the core sectors of Business & Industry, Defence, Offshore & Remote Site, Healthcare, Education, Sports & Leisure and Vending with an established brand portfolio.
Click here and take a look at our website for more information
You will be working for our Levy sector. Levy Restaurants is a market leader and guardian of a number of specialist catering and hospitality brands. Levy Restaurants UK focusses on creating bespoke food and drink experiences to satisfy the diverse and dynamic sports, leisure and events sector as well as iconic arenas and conferences centres. And while no two clients concepts are ever the same, every client benefits from Levy’s good, honest food and heartfelt hospitality.
Our brands include LSS, Keith Prowse, Leiths, The Jockey Club Catering, Lime and Payne & Gunter.
Click here and take a look at our website for more information
THE COMPASS GROUP UK & IRELAND LTD OFFER
We offer you the opportunity to be part of a fun and exciting team, where you have the opportunity and support to develop and progress your career.
We have supported hundreds of people in further developing their career through an Apprenticeship. Take the time to look through our careers website so you can see for yourself how completing an Apprenticeship with Compass continues to make a positive impact.
Perks at Work
We ensure you're rewarded for all your hard work, which is why we offer a comprehensive benefits package which includes but is not limited to:
- Exclusive travel discounts with TUI, Expedia, Booking.com and many more
- Save money on your food shop with discounts on Tesco, Sainsbury's, Morrisons and many more
- Up to 44% off cinema tickets to enjoy your favourite blockbuster
- Regular emails filled with the best discounts and savings available
- Receive Wow Points every time you spend and use them on a wide range of brands
- Un-wind with us with free wellness, mindfulness and exercise classes
- You can share all discounts and offers with your friends and families
- Contributory pension scheme
- Grow your career with our Career Pathways programme
FURTHER INFORMATION ABOUT THE APPLICATION PROCESS
Your Apprenticeship is fully funded by Compass UK and Ireland, via the Apprenticeship Levy.
As a company, our Apprenticeship programme is subject to regulation from Ofsted and the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA). For that reason, each candidate must meet certain criteria’s in order to be eligible for funding. This ensures our offer is compliant with all the quality and funding rules. Therefore, you will be required to complete the following:
Screening Call – you will receive a screening call to establish if you will be eligible for us to claim funding for your apprenticeship training with our training provider and the rules for this are set out in the ESFA funding rules 2023/2024.
European Social Fund – The Skills Funding Agency operates as a co-financing organisation for ESF and assures EU funding is correctly spent. The European Social Fund (ESF) is a structural fund from the European Union. It improves the skills of the workforce and helps people who have difficulties finding work. All our apprenticeships are compliant with ESF funding.
Please note that we reserve the right to remove this advert prior to the advertised date, dependent on the level of response received. You are therefore advised to apply at your earliest convenience.